Human Resources Officer at The United Nations World Food Programme Abuja on 2016
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are seeking individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive, remote, and complex environments, to fill the position below at the P3 level, based in Damaturu, Nigeria:
POSITION : Human Resources Officer
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Deputy Country Director or the designate the Human Resouces Officer, P3 will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Participate in the development of country specific plans and processes, and lead the delivery of HR operational activities or projects to meet local objectives and support WFP strategic goals, ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Provide advice to managers and employees on complex issues, understanding their needs and ensuring that HR policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Ensure the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, determining conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving more complex employee relations issues.
- Manage capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Plan and deliver an onboarding process which ensures new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
- Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and planning/implementing solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Deliver organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Lead and motivate a small of HR staff, monitoring performance, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Monitor the accurate and compliant recording of data; coordinate and prepare timely corporate statistics and conduct analysis, identifying trends and potential issues, and proposing solutions to stakeholders.
- Maintain and share knowledge of best practice, and support the development andimplementation of new/improved HR policies, systems and procedures to ensure they arereflective of legislation, and support WFP effectively.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- Five (5) years or more of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development, with a minimum of 1 year of international experience
- Experience of managing small teams of staff with related areas of expertise.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Sound theoretical understanding of HR concepts and principles with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate a team.
- Good communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and adapt communication style to different situations and individuals.
- Knowledge of common business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Ability to build and maintain effective work relationships with human resources counterparts, managers and staff within HQ/regional/country office.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish priorities, and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
- Ability to draft clear concise reports or rationale for human resources decisions.
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme.
- He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan, and medical insurance. For more details please visit: icsc.un.org
- Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
- You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
- Qualified African national and female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.