Infrastructure at The International Financial Corporation on 2016
The International Financial Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it is needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
In 2015, the World Bank Group launched a recruitment mission to attract Sub Saharan African professionals to its work force. The initiative was the first of its kind for the institution and resulted in numerous hires into business areas such as Education, Health, Development Economics, Information Technology Systems, Social Urban/Rural & Resilience and Governance. The World Bank Group continues its commitment to hiring Sub-Saharan African professionals and announces its latest recruitment mission to again attract highly qualified Sub-Saharan African professionals who are looking for an exciting career, where their effort will contribute to the institution’s goal of ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity.
POSITION : Senior Investment Officer, Infrastructure
The Infrastructure and Natural Resources Department leads IFC’s investments in the following sectors: power, transport, water and municipal infrastructure, and oil and gas. Modern infrastructure spurs economic growth, improves living standards, and can represent an opportunity to address emerging development challenges, including rapid urbanization and climate change. It is also an area in which the private sector can make a significant contribution, providing essential services to large numbers of people efficiently, affordably, and profitably. Industries that can harness natural resources are vital for many of the world’s poorest countries. They are a key source of jobs, energy, government revenues, and a wide array of other benefits for local economies. In Africa, in particular, large-scale sustainable investments in these industries can create equally large-scale gains in economic development.
IFC is seeking Senior Investment Officers to identify new investment opportunities, execute transactions and actively manage portfolio projects. Positions may be located in Washington, DC or one of IFC’s regional offices (such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Delhi, Dubai, Istanbul, Johannesburg, Dakar, Nairobi, Sao Paulo, or Mexico City).
The Senior Investment Officer, Infrastructure will be responsible for the following:
- Business Development: Source and assess opportunities, identify bankable projects in target regions, particularly less developed countries, and grow and develop new business transactions. Develop and guide teams in the preparation of pitchbooks and client proposals in support of new business.
- Structuring and Negotiation: Structure complex investments (comprising both debt and equity) according to understanding and assessment of client and country risks. Negotiate terms with clients, internal and external stakeholders, and partners, including senior management of IFC and clients (CEO, CFO). Prepare client/partner presentations and support their decision making at key transaction stages.
- Deal Execution: Lead transaction team from initiation, due diligence, internal approvals, and processing of debt and equity investment, actively handling key work and directing and coordinating work of other team members from across multiple departments. Take full responsibility and accountability for transaction related decisions and relationships.
- Transaction Management: Deliver all transactions and accountabilities of the role efficiently, on a timely and expeditious basis and using best practice standards. Ensure that defined transactional requirements recorded in documentation are executed accordingly. Monitor the portfolio and report development results internally and externally.
- Knowledge Sharing: Take the lead in knowledge sharing within the industry or product community of practice. Initiate collaboration and share expertise as a subject matter expert, providing advice, peer review and contribution to knowledge products across WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Master’s degree in Business Management, Finance or related areas; CFA a plus.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in finance, investment banking, mergers and acquisitions, structured finance, corporate finance, or private equity, with a proven track record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments.
- Strong analytical skills to review and analyze complex financial information. Knowledge and experience in global financial markets including expertise in emerging markets.
- Advanced financial, credit and risk evaluation skills, with demonstrated ability to structure and negotiate a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity).
- Experience in identifying, originating and qualifying new business opportunities developing and executing results-driven client engagements.
- Demonstrated strong written, presentation, and communications skills in English and ability to synthesize and present information effectively and tailored to different audiences.
- Excellent business judgment and problem solving skills to identify issues, present creative, practical solutions, and make and commit to sound decisions, anticipating short and long term implications.
- High degree of diplomacy and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients, staff and managers at all levels. Discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility.
End of July – September 2016 – Review applications and update application status to candidates
August – September 2016 – Contact all shortlisted candidates and conduct interviews in Washington, D.C. and locations in Africa
- Shortlisted candidates may be contacted as early as August 2016 for interviews which may be conducted in Washington, D.C. or locations in Africa. Interviews will be conducted through September 2016. Based on the availability of interviewers and candidates some interviews may be conducted virtually.
- Candidates who have previously submitted applications through the Recruitment Drive for African Nationals in 2015 must submit a new application to be considered for opportunities in this year’s campaign. We apologize that we are unable to consider previously submitted applications.