Job Vacancy as Food Technologist Vacancy at TechnoServe Nigeria
TechnoServe – works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital, and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs, and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
POSITION : Food Technologist
- Reporting to the Regional Program Director (RPD), the Fortification Country Manager (FCM) will manage the implementation of the Food Fortification program at the country level, working within the program resources and mandate to meet the objectives of his/her country plan.
- The FCM will establish relationships with food processors and industry stakeholders to support technology transfer and building their capacity to meet compliance standards for fortification.
- The FCM will proactively review, make recommendations and report on programmatic activities to deliver TechnoServe’s strategic plan for Food Fortification in the country and as part of the broader regional program.
- In addition to providing direct technical support to assisted companies, the FCM will oversee the country team, including Senior Business Advisors (SBA) and Business Advisors (BA) in supporting their country objectives, managing the country finances and reporting their country progress.
- Business support will include assisting processors with customized business planning, adoption of food fortification and food safety protocols, overseeing market studies, and developing customized processor marketing strategies, business operations and provision of other business advisory services.
- As the Lead Manager in the country, the FCM will oversee the activities of the country team and work in close cooperation with project partners and will receive technical oversight from the Regional Technical Manager.
Key Organizational Relationships:
- The Fortification Country Manager will report directly to the Regional Program Director on strategic issues related to work planning, targets, budgets, staff and program delivery
- The FCM will receive technical oversight and support from the Regional Fortification Manager with respects to training and technology transfer to assisted companies
- Country Director- to align with country objectives, administrative and compliance requirements and to receive support and assistance from the local office as required
- Regional M&E Manager to facilitate data capture and reporting
- Regional Program Accountant to reconcile program expenses, budget tracking and prepare for upcoming expenses
- Represent TechnoServe at the country level, meeting with potential partners and stakeholders: processing company directors and production managers, government institutions and regulators, technical industry experts, service providers and universities, complimentary programs, NGOs and related agencies
- Identify, review and select prospective companies for program support, familiarize them with the program offering and expectation for all participating partners
- Work with selected companies to identify their challenges to adequate fortification compliance, design project charters to address these challenges and work with program partners to facilitate the appropriate technology and knowledge transfer in support of the assisted food companies
- Identify common fortification industry weaknesses and support the design and delivery of sector wide training workshops to strengthen these gaps
- Review, monitor, and report on all programmatic activities including periodic progress, and financial reports, ensuring strict compliance with TechnoServe’s objectives, strategies, policies and procedures. Make appropriate recommendations on the implementation plan
- Assist the Regional Program Director and management unit in timely tracking of country expenditures, budget management and forecasting, HR recruiting and country staff management, monitoring and evaluation of program results and the development of country workplans
- Represent the country activities through reports, presentations, hosting of leadership, donor or stakeholder site visits and other communications as required.
- At least 8 years of experience in developing and managing projects, preferably in the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of PPP programs in developing countries
- Experience in working with financial and project management systems
- Experience of working in the food industry in Nigeria will be an advantage
- Masters in Food Technology, Nutrition, Business Administration or related fields.
- Computer literacy with excellent Excel, MS word, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills.
Skills & Attributes:
- Food processing experience, preferably in staple foods; with an understanding of fortification technology
- Strong project management and strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind and commitment to quality; rigorous approach with a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work in an environment requiring collaboration with the private sector, government, and national and international organizations
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Flexible, proactive, goal-oriented and with a willingness to travel in challenging environments.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, problem solving, and creativity.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English is essential
- Working knowledge of other languages is highly desirable
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and abroad.