Job Vacancy at The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) for Chief Field Officer on 2016
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
POSITION : Chief Field Officer, P-5
Purpose of the Position
- Under the overall guidance of the Chief Field Operations, accountable for the management and implementation of programme in the field office area of responsibility.
- As head of field office, direct, lead and manage a group of professional and support staff to develop, manage and administer the sectoral or inter-sectoral programme.
- Promotes intersectoral partnerships in order to ensure timely implementation of programmes in particular Health, Nutrition, Water and Environmental Sanitation, and similarly.
- Contributes to synergize the work of United Nations agencies in UNICEF programme MDGs focused Goals, as well as in humanitarian actions, working closely with the other partners within the inter-agency standing committee (IASC).
Summary of Key End-Results/Accountabilities
- Developing and planning the Field Office Program Plan
- Leading and managing the Field Office
- Monitoring and quality control of the Program Implementation
- Representation and external relations at Field office level
- Building alliance, resource mobilization and UN System coordination
- Leading innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Safety and security of staff, programs and organizational assets
Key Expected Results
- Representation – Represent UNICEF and the rights and needs of children to government officials, local authorities, NGOs, CBOs and beneficiary communities
- Advocacy – Advocate with government officials, local authorities, NGOs, CBOs and beneficiary communities, attention to the rights and needs of children, with particular focus on humanitarian access and protection of children
Programme Development & Monitoring:
- Reporting – In cooperation with relevant sections of the Country Office, prepare or contribute to the monthly SITREP, donor reports and special reports.
- Monitoring – Organize and participate in the regular monitoring of UNICEF supported interventions in the field office area of responsibility through project review, field visits, inspection of supplies, and review of reports, accounts and outputs
- Capacity Strengthening – Support capacity strengthening of government and NGO partners on situation analysis, policy, plan/programme/project formulation, project management, monitoring and evaluation
- Humanitarian Response Action Plan – Contribute to the country Office situation analysis, HARP formulation, plans of action, project agreements, project cooperation agreements, annual and mid-term reviews, annual reports, and other required documentation.
- Programme Implementation – In collaboration with relevant chiefs sections of the Country Office, plan, coordinate and manage the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of UNICEF support within the governorate
- Access to Hard to Reach Areas – negotiate with all parties to secure access to population in hot spots and hard to reach areas, including through agency specific convoys, interagency convoys and delivery of critical life-saving interventions
- Monitor the Situation – Develop and maintain a sound knowledge and understanding of the humanitarian and political situation and dynamics of the conflict in order to assess impact on the situation of and programmes for children and to identify needs and opportunities
- Ensure effective knowledge management by drafting or finalizing sectoral documents and reports such as the Country Programme Recommendation and Plans of Action, lessons learned knowledge gained and information / data exchange.
- Conduct orientation and training programmes to help build capacity of Government counterparts.
- Provide authoritative advice/guidance/interpretation of programme policy and guidelines.
Human Resource & Supply Management:
- Supply – Monitor the storage, distribution, end use and maintenance of UNICEF supplies used within the governorate
- Human Resource Development – participate in and monitor the deployment and recruitment of staff for assignment within the governorate. Monitor personnel processes, timely completion of performance evaluation, staff training and career development
Team Leadership and Management:
- Team Leadership – Provide inspiring leadership to the UNICEF team in Aleppo, terms of UNICEF Mission, guiding principles, policy interpretation, guidance on procedures, developing and maintenance of positive attitudes, constructive team behavior, and positive relations with all partners
- Management – Through participatory approaches, manage the work of the UNICEF field office and team, ensuring high standards of accountability and efficiency
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university Degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Public Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Ten years of professional work experience at national and international levels in field programmes relevant to Education programmes.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language.
- Local working language of the duty station an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [ III ]
- Working with People [ III ]
- Drive for Results [ III ]
- Leading and Supervising [ III ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ III ]
- Analyzing [ III]
- Relating and Networking [ III ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ III ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ II ]