Job Vacancy as Banking Risk Management Specialist at The International Financial Corporation on 2016
The International Financial Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it is needed most. In FY15, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $18 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
In 2015, the World Bank Group launched a recruitment mission to attract Sub Saharan African professionals to its work force. The initiative was the first of its kind for the institution and resulted in numerous hires into business areas such as Education, Health, Development Economics, Information Technology Systems, Social Urban/Rural & Resilience and Governance. The World Bank Group continues its commitment to hiring Sub-Saharan African professionals and announces its latest recruitment mission to again attract highly qualified Sub-Saharan African professionals who are looking for an exciting career, where their effort will contribute to the institution’s goal of ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity.
POSITION : Principal Banking Risk Management Specialist
The Financial Institution Group (FIG) is one of IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability and development reach. FIG has three main objectives: 1) financial inclusion 2) servicing the real economy and 3) mobilizing third-party resources. FIG provides investment and advisory solutions to hundreds of financial intermediaries in emerging markets to enable them to play a positive role in economic growth. FIG’s advisory services are closely coordinated with investment operations and help banks and NBFIs across the region to build or improve their operations and are provided across five focus areas: Banking Strategy & Risk Management; Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Finance, including Banking on Women; Microfinance; Digital Finance; and Climate & Sustainable Finance.
The Global Banking Strategy & Risk Management Advisory Program in FIG aims to increase MSMEs access to sustainable and responsible financial services in emerging markets by providing financial institution (FI) capacity building services and dissemination of best practices to strengthen their risk management capabilities. The program takes a holistic approach by focusing on all aspects of sound risk management organized in four main areas: Risk Governance including ICAAP, enterprise risk, risk appetite, and MIS/Data requirements; Market Risk including liquidity management, capital adequacy, and ALCO management; Credit Risk; and Operational Risk including cyber risk.
To serve its Global Banking Strategy & Risk Management Advisory, FIG is looking for Principal Banking Risk Management Specialists to join a global team of banking professionals and specialists. The Specialists will be based in EMENA (Istanbul), Latin America and the Caribbean (Bogota or Panama), South Asia (Delhi or Dhaka) or another one of IFC’s regional offices. Though the Specialists will be hired to serve primarily one region, they will be part of FIG’s global Advisory Team and may work across other regions, with both global and regional accountability and reporting lines.
The Principal Banking Risk Management Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Lead CRMTR’s quantitative analysis and research function as well as support various teams within CRMTR and CRM for financial and econometric modeling.
- Play a senior role in maintaining close contact and liaison with internal Treasury/syndications clients in discussing/enhancing and explaining portfolio and investment risk.
- Partner with CRMTR market and credit Risk teams as well as Treasury for new capital market development initiatives in frontier markets and other solutions for IFC clients.
- Partner with CRMTR’s model validation team in support of developing approaches to analyze valuation and risk calculations of complex transactions and securities with embedded options.
- Contribute to modeling, development and improvement of various quantitative tools and frameworks such as Economic Capital, Liquidity, Stress Testing, as well as valuation modeling of cash and derivative transactions and portfolio risk analysis.
- Monitor relevant markets, security-specific risks and securities markets developments. In this regard the candidate is expected to have a deep knowledge of fixed income, derivatives and FX markets as well as possess strong judgment of markets relative to theoretical models.
- Candidate will take technical and complex issues and explain them in simple and straightforward terms in communicating with internal clients and senior management.
- Mentor, guide, and train junior team members.
- Provide training and technical explanations both to internal/external clients.
- Preferably a PhD in a quantitative subject, such as, Physics, Finance, Mathematics or Engineering or an equivalent combination of highly quantitative education and experience
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in finance, fixed income, debt capital markets, and/or structured finance within an investment bank, rating agency, or other debt capital markets related entity, experience in emerging markets is a plus
- Broad knowledge of IFC Treasury operations (liquid assets, funding, client solutions, quantitative analysis) and ability to form strong working relationships with clients
- Sound conceptual understanding of fixed income, derivatives and structured finance instruments combined with strong analytical skills, problem solving capability and good financial modeling skills
- Detailed knowledge of credit and market risk measurement techniques, including value at risk, stress testing and scenario analysis
- Strong knowledge of numerical and statistical analysis tools and languages such as C++, Python, R, Matlab or SAS
- Strong knowledge of financial modeling tools/libraries such as Numerix and/or QuantLib
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management and financial and technical partners
- Strong analytical ability and demonstrated professional leadership skill, as well as a strong interest and ability to undertake initiatives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present technical issues in simple and straightforward terms
- Ability to mentor junior staff, multitask, meet tight deadlines and work efficiently in multicultural teams
- Strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail and resourcefulness.
End of July – September 2016 – Review applications and update application status to candidates
August – September 2016 – Contact all shortlisted candidates and conduct interviews in Washington, D.C. and locations in Africa
- Shortlisted candidates may be contacted as early as August 2016 for interviews which may be conducted in Washington, D.C. or locations in Africa. Interviews will be conducted through September 2016. Based on the availability of interviewers and candidates some interviews may be conducted virtually.
- Candidates who have previously submitted applications through the Recruitment Drive for African Nationals in 2015 must submit a new application to be considered for opportunities in this year’s campaign. We apologize that we are unable to consider previously submitted applications.