Latest Career Opportunity at BBC Africa TV on 2016
The BBC – We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic. We are committed to broadcasting to and from the continent in a style that meets the demands of our growing audience and as well as our language services, our presence in the region is also defined by our bureaux, special correspondents and bilingual reporters. We are committed to delivering news and information to people across Africa and insights from Africa to audiences around the globe.
POSITION : Bilingual Reporter, BBC Africa TV (Hausa/English)
- BBC Africa newsgathering provides news reports, pictures and audio material to all BBC News programmes and services – for Africa, the UK and internationally – in English and other languages, including Hausa.
- With Nigeria being the largest economy in Africa and Lagos the largest city in Africa by population, it is crucial that our spoken and written content in both English and Hausa is of the highest possible editorial and technical standard, which in turn provides the best value for money for BBC audiences around the world.
- Reporting to the Africa Bureaux Editor, the head of the Hausa Service and the head of Africa TV.
- You will supply timely, expert and authoritative coverage of news and current affairs events in Nigeria.
- You will provide material for online and social media, for radio and TV for our African, UK and international audiences.
- Using your local knowledge, contacts and expertise, you will file reports and interviews and report live from breaking stories as well as from planned events in both Hausa and English.
The Ideal Candidate
- You will be an experienced Reporter and Broadcast Journalist who is fluent (oral and written) in English and Hausa.
- Experience of reporting on live/breaking news is required as is the ability to provide creative content that is suitable for all forms of media.
- With a thorough knowledge of Nigeria including political, economic and security developments in the region and an understanding of international affairs, you will be able to demonstrate an in depth knowledge of our audience needs.
- You should also have an authoritative microphone voice and the ability to approach assignments in a calm and sensible manner.
- You will be prepared to work in challenging security environments in Nigeria having regard for the safety of yourself and your team.
Contract: 2 year attachment/fixed term contract, local Nigeria terms and conditions.