Latest opportunity at GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc on 2016
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa’s largest consumer healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade, Ribena and Panadol.
POSITION : Communications and Government Affairs Director – Nigeria & West Africa
In line with our Africa 2020 vision, GSK seeks to tell its story and build trust with internal and external stakeholders on the continent. These include employees, media, governments, industry bodies, regulators, HCPs, distributors etc.
Given the importance of Nigeria to the GSK business, a well functioning and effective Communications and Government Affairs (CGA) function will support the LOC Leadership team appraise and monitor the external environment and manage stakeholders; have a clear understanding of healthcare and political environment and its impact on GSK; develop policies, messaging and advocacy on key issues; support GM as local lead on engagement with trade associations, government officials, key media and external influencers; and take a ‘one GSK’ approach to government affairs and LOC communication activity across RX, Vaccines, R&D and ViiV operations represented in Nigeria.
This LOC combined Communications and Government Affairs role will work closely with functional Africa DC Communications RX, Government Affairs Rx leads to allow capability building and functional expertise.
As a shared services role, the job holder will provide similar business support to West Africa.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Communications (Internal and External):
• Provide the GM Nigeria and GM West Africa with communications counsel and strategic advice.
• Develop and implement internal and external communication strategies to enhance the reputation of GSK in Nigeria and West Africa and to drive business performance.
• Support major change programmes and organizational changes organizational changes in Nigeria and West Africa.
• Advise the business on effective message delivery and communications channels.
• Understand, monitor and manage the external commentator environment proactively and reactively. Build a radar mechanism to collect and effectively manage risks and opportunities. Ensure traditional and new media monitoring and reporting processes are in place to ensure the business has full understanding of media coverage and impact across the region.
• Take a ‘hands on’ approach for key reputational corporate and brand reputation campaigns in Nigeria & West Africa.
• Build strong personal and institutional network of key media commentators and PR agencies across the geography.
• Develop and deliver specific plans to build business leaders external relationships (media and other stakeholders) and company profile through targeted engagements on key strategic topics aligned to the GSK brand and business.
• Lead and manage issues arising in Nigeria and West Africa, advising and involving Nigeria and West Africa Leadership Team members and above country teams as appropriate.
• Represent GSK Nigeria and West Africa communications and GSK internally and externally at key meetings, industry engagements, community programs etc. to inspire people with the GSK brand and demonstrate our values.
• Oversee effective and productive agency selection and the outsourcing of communications related work at country level.
• Create a favorable external environment and protect and enhance the reputation of GSK and support business growth by developing direct and indirect advocacy programmes to address key issues.
• Build partnerships with Nigeria and West Africa policy makers and influencers and bring the voice of government, the patient and consumer into GSK.
• Work with the Government Affairs Director, EMA & Africa DC to develop solutions-driven policy positions that address key issues impacting GSK’s reputation or business
• Support the GM Nigeria and West Africa with Government Affairs in their external engagement activities by providing counsel and strategic advice regarding the political, policy, economic and healthcare environment and GSK’s policy positions on these issues
• Track local and regional policy trends; spot risks and opportunities.
• Represent GSK externally in relevant trade association and external meetings and conferences.
Operationally, the CGA role reports to the General Manager – Nigeria and General Manager – West Africa.
The role holder will interact with varied stakeholders
• Senior GSK leadership at LOC and Area level
• Employees within Rx / enterprise.
• Government officials and other state actors e.g.
policy makers, Ambassadors etc.
• Media (mainstream and digital)
• NGO partners and community leaders
• Industry (HCPs, Regulators etc.)
The role holder should embody ‘humble confidence’ in all interactions with the above stakeholders. Good negotiating skills, ability to listen and analyse and solution-focus is essential to creating win-win partnerships.
Number of Direct Reports: NA
Number of Indirect Reports: 1
• Rounded senior CGA leader with exceptional business partnering and stakeholder management abilities internally and externally. Values-led leader at ease advising and delivering in role.
• Demonstrated understanding of the external and public policy environment
• Demonstrate ability to execute with discipline and finesse. Showcase ability to deliver tangible, measurable and sustainable business results that earn the organization the social license to operate and grow.
• A strong personal track record of building and managing excellent media relations, delivering on-message coverage in top tier local / regional titles.
• A strong track record in building partnerships and relationship with government and other key external stakeholders
• Highly skilled in managing complex issues (external and internal), identifying areas of control, mobilizing internal response and resolving effectively.
• Demonstrate ability to inspire employees, drive engagement and deliver business results.
• Exquisite personal judgment, behavioral flexibility and experience of working across multiple and varied cultures.
• Issues management capabilities to help steer business reputation in times of crisis.