The International Centre for Migration Policy Development on 2016
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), an international organisation with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Project Manager/Team Leader for the project Support to Free Movement of Persons and Migration in West Africa (FMM West Africa). The Project Manager is based in Abuja and leads a team of five colleagues in the implementation of ICMPD’s components in the IOM-ICMPD-ILO joint ‘FMM West Africa’ project. FMM West Africa is a five year project that started in the summer of 2013 and is scheduled to end in spring 2018, with a likely prolongation.
POSITION : Project Manager/Team Leader
- The Project Manager works under the overall leadership of the Programme Manager of the Project Support Unit in Abuja (IOM), and under the direct supervision of the backstopping Programme Manager in ICMPD HQ, Vienna.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Team leadership and management:
- Lead and guide the Team.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Team; track and assess team member’s individual inputs and tasks, and ensure that staff have clearly defined responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse individual staff as well as overall Team performance, provide regular feedback and address weaknesses, under-performance, tension or other problems in the team; review and revise roles and responsibilities as needed for efficient project implementation.
- Administer and oversee the functioning of the Team’s office space, equipment and all related support services; ensure effective coordination with IOM as well as with administrative and operations support units based in HQ and the Brussels Mission.
- Support the Team to cope positively with periods of uncertainty and change, and encourage creative solutions to address challenges in project implementation.
- Ensure the evaluation of experts and suppliers.
- Recruit new staff members as required.
- Manage delivery of day-to-day project activities independently, including effective delegation of tasks within the Team as required.
- Monitor implementation of the work plan and accomplishment of project outputs. Regularly review work plan to track implementation and to ensure that the project is on schedule, reflect any adjustment or changes, or take corrective action as required.
- Coordinate implementation of activities with project partners ensuring that activities are carried out according to work plan. Actively advise and guide project partners on issues related to project implementation.
- Coordinate implementation of activities in-house with other project managers working in the region. Actively inform and advise colleagues on all aspects that may have a bearing on their work.
- Draft and/or check and approve official project correspondence.
- Monitor and oversee that project inputs and administrative processes such as procurement and contracting are carried out promptly and in accordance with ICMPD rules and established processes/procedures. Look for opportunities to improve work processes; identify lessons learnt and best practices specifically for field office project implementation.
- Ensure that project cycle management processes are implemented and duly documented in accordance with ICMPD’s Quality Management System.
- Implement and coordinate individual DDF actions, including coordination with all stakeholders in the selection, development and review of actions; the identification, selection and review of external experts and service providers; and, support to and overseeing the implementation of actions by Team members.
- Organise and coordinate the organisation of meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences ensuring that these activities are carried out in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Formulate and draft inputs to project events. Ensure that agenda, technical notes and working group papers and other inputs to events are produced according to expected quality standards and in a timely manner.
- Participate in and, as necessary, chair or moderate project events, seminars and workshops.
- Conduct/lead project missions in the region as required; ensure the preparation of timely mission, monitoring and evaluation reports and follow-up on findings.
- Draft and update documentation on project activities and results, including monthly reporting to HQ.
- Ensure timely reporting to donors and partners; oversee the formulation and drafting of narrative reports and any other project periodic reports. Coordinate the preparation of financial reports with the operations support unit.
- Present project results, proactively and upon request, to various stakeholder groups, such as the donor, ECOWAS Commission and Committee for Project Steering and Coordination.
- Implement a project monitoring and evaluation plan; conduct an internal project review at least once a year, as well as a final review at project closure.
- Oversee implementation of the project communication strategy and revise as required; develop and draft project-related PR materials such as newsletters, write-ups, updates for the website, and coordinate and oversee inputs from the Team.
Project financial management:
- Manage all financial aspects of the project in close coordination with the operations support unit ensuring that the project is implemented according to the budget, set limits are respected and corrective actions are undertaken promptly.
- Manage budget implementation based on financial management system (SAP).
- Preparing and planning quarterly budget expenditure forecasts in close cooperation with HQ.
- Initiate revisions as may be required to adjust the budget to changes in work plan.
- Manage all internal budgets for activities implemented in close coordination with units in HQ and/or implementing partners, including the use of internal expert days.
- Oversee the project implementation in terms of financial management, ensuring that all project expenditures are properly and timely certified.
- Manage communication with all partners on financial reports and related inputs.
Representation and external relations:
- Represent ICMPD in the Project Support Unit; steer ICMPD’s inputs to and daily contact with the Consortium partners.
- Represent ICMPD towards the EUD and the ECOWAS Commission.
- Represent ICMPD towards the Government of Nigeria, liaise with key counterparts in support of seat agreement negotiations.
- Represent ICMPD in Abuja and in the region; develop networks and build credible working relations with key partners.
- Ensure ICMPD representation at the appropriate level in all project related meetings or events.
- Participate on behalf of ICMPD in conferences/meetings/seminars relevant for the project and area of work.
Knowledge and information management:
- Provide regular updates and reports on progress of the project.
- Draft, review, comment upon, revise and approve project outputs (reports, studies, presentations, policy papers, publications) and ensure that project outputs are produced according to the work plan and to ICMPD’s quality standards.
- Lead the knowledge-building and knowledge sharing within the project and substantively contribute to ICMPD’s knowledge of West Africa, and of how to best promote regional free movement and strengthen regional economic communities.
- Develop at least one policy brief per year to inform overall direction and policy discussions on free movement in the region.
- Ensure visibility of project results.
- Ensure that all information and knowledge regarding operational, administrative and finance issues is available as required.
- Identify and formulate lessons learnt and best practices at project level to feed into formulation of new projects and as inputs to ICMPD’s strategies.
Safety, security and incidence management:
- Implement team/office and staff-related safety and security measures.
- Ensure compliance by staff with all safety and security-related instructions.
- Monitor and report all security-related incidents.
- Serve as ICMPD’s representative to the UN SLT team at the country level.
- Assume the function of Emergency Manager in case of emergency.
- Liaise with IOM, the UN security apparatus and the Government of Nigeria as may be necessary on matters concerning the security and protection of ICMPD staff and family members.
Core values, Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrating appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organisation and the diversity of its staff and promoting ICMPD values: Commitment, Integrity, Partnership, Respect and Innovation in actions and decisions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Legal Studies or related field, with a strong expertise in migration.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant international experience in the management of complex projects and programmes, in particular in the field of capacity development for government institutions.
- Proven experience in team management.
- Previous work experience in West Africa is highly desirable.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Technical knowledge and expertise in the field of migration.
- Strong knowledge of technical assistance and capacity development methodologies.
- Excellent project cycle management skills.
- Excellent level of conceptual and analytical capacity is essential.
- Leadership, vision, ability to empower others and to manage their performance.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others.
- Creating and promoting an enabling environment for open communication.
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking.
- Proven excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong representational skills and negotiation abilities.
- Writing skills that include attention to detail and a grasp of conceptual frameworks.
- Sharing knowledge across the organisation and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation packages, internet, etc.
- Written and oral fluency in English, and excellent working knowledge of French is required.
- Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
ICMPD offers a competitive salary commensurate with the successful applicant’s experience and education.