Vacancy for an Operations Safety Manager at The Nigerian Bottling Company Limited on 2016
The Nigerian Bottling Company Limited – one of the biggest companies in the non-alcoholic beverage industry in the country and is the sole franchise bottler of The Coca-Cola Company in Nigeria.
POSITION : Operations Safety Manager
- The Operations Safety Manager reports to the Country Safety Manager. This position will be responsible for maintaining a Safe Workplace in Logistics and Warehouse Operations in Plants and Depots by ensuring that the Workplace is monitored and fully compliant with all applicable Coca-Cola requirements, OHSAS 18001 standards, International codes, rules and regulations.
Desired Candidate Profile
- B.Sc. or HND in Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or other related fields.
- Desired candidate must be a member ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria); Recognized Health & Safety qualification (OHSAS 18001 and NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health)
- A master’s Degree will be of added advantage.
- Production/ Logistics/ Warehouse/ Transport management experience (Minimum of 5 years) within a beverage/soft drinks or similar process manufacturing company desirable.
- In depth knowledge of key Health & Safety practices and associated legislative requirements at national level essential.
- Ability to investigate and identify root causes behind H&S issues/incidents and develop pragmatic options for resolution.
- Project management skills.
- Good time management skills essential.
- Ability to organize and manage mixed ability teams in order to solve specific H&S related problems.
- Good awareness of organizational structures for effective ownership and management of Health& Safety; Job design; performance management.
- Audio/visual skills in presentation of information and training material are essential.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to drive and enforce standards and influence people.
- Ability to design and deliver training courses to different levels of employees
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop good relations at all levels both internally and externally.
- Post holder must be highly motivated and flexible in approach, with ability to prioritize, plan and implement his or her own work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent command of English language required – written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel within and outside the country.
- IT Literacy
The Key Responsibilities of the role are:
- Ensures that all Warehouse and Depot equipment meets safety regulations and that all equipment and tools are used correctly by employees.
- Ensures proper care and maintenance of Warehouse and Depot facilities and equipment. Also, all apparatus such as fire protection and control equipment, First Aid Facilities, Lighting, Ventilation control, Personal Protective Equipment, Storage facilities, Material handling equipment must be available and in good working condition.
- Ensures implementation of relevant Programs to drive Health and Safety awareness and improvement in Warehouse and Depots.
- Understanding and implementation of local and national safety laws and regulations, ensures adherence to Company standards, rules and regulations.
- Responsible to conduct Warehouse and Depots safety audits and implementing appropriate changes to correct or comply with regulations/standards.
- Develops policies and procedures to ensure compliance with relevant regulations and guidelines
- Interfaces with Warehouse and Logistics Managers, Depot Managers, Plant Safety Managers, Contractors and Employees to formulate and implement Safety improvement programs and Corrective actions.
- Designs relevant Safety Training for Warehouse and Depot Employees & ensures Personnel training and corrective action follow-up are completed.
- Develops and implements accident investigation, data analysis, and recurrence prevention programs and procedures.
- Designs and implements Forklift Drivers’ training & certification of warehouse personnel to include by location & equipment
- Prepares high quality weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual H&S reports for input to the broader Country statistics (including H&S Metric performance measurement) and carry out routine analysis in order to identify trends and key areas for focused attention and remedial programs.
- Travel required (50 – 55%) across Plants and Depots